So each year since we have been here on the east coast we go apple picking. The kids are able to eat apples from the tree (as many as they can handle) and then we get a bunch so that I can make home made applesauce, yum.
This year we found a new place a little further away from our previous ventures apple picking. We decided this because it was so much cheaper than our old spot. We thought and planned for the perfect day. Unfortunately for us, it wasn't.
The day was overcast and rainy. But it was the only day Matt had off so we decided to go anyway. On the way down we were in a particularly rainy and windy section of the drive. Here there are divided highways with trees in between. As we drove I looked to the other side of the trees and I saw a mini van in pretty bad shape. There weren't any ambulances on the scene and Matt and I decided that at the next turn around we would return to see how people were. I said a silent prayer that I had atleast one pair of gloves in the car. Heavenly Father truly answered me because there, in the bottom of our pathetic first aid kit was one pair of gloves. It was truly horrific. Matt was the first medical person on the scene and one little girl had already died. He then had to work on three others, one of which was in critical condition. The most frustrating thing was that Matt could have done so much more but we weren't prepared with medical supplies, and the conditions were awful.
As the children and I sat in the car I pleaded that Matt would be able to help the boy who was so injured. After about an hour he slowly walked back to the car with defeat bearing down on him. There is only one other time in my life that I have seen my sweet husband so defeated (the other time was when he had to work on several small children that came in from a house fire many of whom died). He had tried all that he could but there was little hope for the young man. I have vowed that we would acquire the needed necessities that would be more sufficient than just one pair of gloves and a few band aids.
We decided to keep going and pick apples. I took pics of Chase which are super cute and all the kids had a great time despite the rain, mud, and cold.
3 comments:
That is so sad. What a hard experience for the whole family. I am so sorry that that ruined your apple picking
That breaks my heart - how blessed for that family that Matt was the one able to stop and help, though. By the way, your family is beautiful!
wow. i can't even imagine how hard that would be. what an experience.
Post a Comment